There are many lists on the net that boast the benefits of being an IT freelancer. Today, I would like to present you with a list of reasons why you should not freelance.
1. Time consuming – Its 1:30 am and I am still up trying to finish up work. Traditionally you would think freelancing will give you time to play, however, that is not true. Ever since I began freelancing, I don’t have time to go out with my girlfriend anymore because I am always busy. Even on the weekends!
2. Nasty clients – Clients who do not fully understand the complexity of what they demand can drive you insane. Some clients don’t know the technology and skills required to accomplish their project. Normally you don’t go to your dentist and tell them how to clean your teeth. Yet clients would approach their IT freelancer and tell them how to do their job. Sometimes clients tell you to use bad programming practices, implement nasty designs, or expect things done in an unreasonable time frame.
3. Unpredictability of work – One week you have all the time in the world because you have no work. The very next week you get so much work you don’t even know where to begin. No work = No money. Too much work, but not enough time to do it = angry clients.
4. Uncle Sam – You have to keep track of and pay your own taxes. This is a pain the butt.
5. Bookkeeping – I have no idea how much money I made or how many hours I have worked. If you hate bookkeeping, freelancing is going to be like fishing in the dark. That’s exactly how I feel right now.
6. Health and Dental insurance– Universal HealthCare would be great. Remembering to pay for your own insurance is a hassle.
To be honest though, this is all worth it for a chance to be free of cubicles.