Here are a couple of simple steps to take your iPhone running iOS 4.0.1 to tether for free.
- While this still works, visit: http://www.jailbreakme.com on your iPhone. Follow the instructions and jailbreak your iPhone
- Once your phone has been jailbroken, open the “Cydia” app and search for “ultrasnow”. Install the ultrasnow app, which will unlock your iPhone.
- Also in Cydia look for “MyWi” and install “MyWi 4.0” – Sign up for MyWi, which will give you a 9 day free trial. MyWi will also install Rock app – ignore it for now. Note: Installing MyWi will reboot/crash a couple times — don’t panic, that’s just how it is.
- Go back in Cydia –> manage –> packages –> MyWi and “remove” it.
- Once MyWi is removed, go Cydia –> manage -> sources –> edit –> add and enter ‘http://elpelle6.com/repo’
- Now search for “MyWi’ again, but this time, find the one that comes from ‘elpelle6’ and install that
- Once MyWi – elpelle6 version has been installed, go back in Cydia and remove Rock App, the same way you removed MyWi earlier.
- Hard Reboot your iPhone by holding down the button top of the iphone
- You now have MyWi 4 – which you can use to create wireless connection to your computer for free internet tethering.